Thursday, June 14, 2012

Shrimp, mushroom, and asparagus pasta


I made this really good shrimp, mushroom, asparagus, and tomato pasta the other night.  I made this up as I went which is a really big deal for me!  I have long been afraid to deviate from recipes but it is my new policy that I MUST make up my own dishes, and I thought pasta would be a good place to start since I was literally raised on it and know all the basics of pasta sauces. 

If you want to try doing this dish, this is what you will need:

3 T. butter
1 T. oil
1/4 cup or so of minced yellow onion
8 oz. Crimini ("baby bella") mushrooms, sliced
Asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (I used about half a bunch)
Some dry white wine (chardonnay is good)
1 lb. of large raw frozen shrimp (or fresh shrimp if you are so inclined)
1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
Red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. of angel hair pasta
Grated parmesan

First, defrost the shrimp by placing them in a bowl under running cold water for about 20 minutes.  Shell them and set them aside.

Then chop up your veggies.


Heat 2 T. butter and 1 T. olive oil over medium heat.  When the foam subsides, add the diced onions and cook until golden.


Add the mushrooms.


(sorry for the bad photography on this recipe... my flash was off)

Cook until butter is absorbed and the mushroom juices rise to the surface.  About 5 minutes.  Stir in the asparagus.  Cook for 1 or 2 minutes.  Then add some white wine.  Maybe about 1/2 cup... whatever feels right.  Cook until about half the wine has evaporated. 


 Add the tomatoes, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.


Turn the heat to low.  While this is cooking, bring a large pasta pot of water to a boil.  When the sauce has cooked for 15 or 20 minutes, add the shrimp.


Slowly cook the shrimp, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is a light pink color.


Cook the angel hair pasta, drain it, and put it in a pasta bowl with 1 T. butter. Stir to coat.  Add pasta sauce and toss thoroughly.


Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and some bread to sop up the sauce.  Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment