Sunday, June 10, 2012

Skillet Blueberry Cornbread

I was not planning to bake anything more this week, given that we still have Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti and Dinner Rolls (and let's face it, there are only 2 of us), but it was rainy yesterday and a perfect day for baking... and I convinced myself that I deserved it after my 8.25 mile run :) and I did right?

I had these beautiful plump blueberries from a local farm and I have been wanting to make cornbread and I just LOVE blueberries in baked goods so I thought, why not?  (By the way, I thought this was an original idea... ... but then I did a google search and found a billion recipes....  but I guess nothing is original in the world of cooking).



and OH my GOD is this good.  Yummmm.  I mean really yum.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.  I took what I liked from a bunch of different recipes and added a few things of my own and I don't think I can imagine it being better.  And it is SOOOO easy and so fast.  So here is what you need:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup unsweetened butter, melted, plus more for greasing the skillet
1 to 2 teaspoons honey (optional - I added this at the last minute and that is why it isn't in the picture... sorry)


1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  In a small bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt).


2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients (buttermilk, lightly beaten eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and honey if you want it).


3.  Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, a little at a time, mixing just until all the ingredients are incorporated and there are no more lumps.  It will look like this:


(yes, you can dip your finger in and taste it... i love the taste of any uncooked baked good... it is my weakness...)

4.  Add the blueberries.


5.  Melt a little butter in a cast iron skillet to coat the pan.


6.  Pour batter into skillet.


7.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (mine took 22 minutes).  It will be a light gold inside.


Let it cool at least 5 minutes before cutting.  Cut into pieces and eat some while it is still warm!  I took some warm pieces out to Brandon in the barn (who was building an awesome bird house!)


He approved! :) lucky guy.

Oh, and check out the birdhouse:


Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment