Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sausage , Garlic, Tomato and Cream Pasta


This is one of my staple recipes that I make at least once a month.  It is very satisfying on a cold night.  The only problem with it is I have a hard time stopping!  I can eat several helpings and still wish I had room for more.  It is also very simple and an easy weeknight meal.  I made this dish for my mother-in-law and she also loved it. 

Ingredients:

1 lb. pasta (I like cartwheels or Rotini with this dish)
3 T. light olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb. sausage 
1 (28 oz) can Italian whole peeled tomatoes
2/3 cup cream
2-3 T fresh diced parsley

Parmesan for serving

Instructions:

Heat oil over medium heat in cast iron pan (or other skillet).  Crumble sausage into oil and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until brown, add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes.  Add 2/3 of the can of cut up tomatoes with their juice (I usually do not use the entire can but you could).  Simmer over medium low heat for about 20 minutes, until tomatoes are cooked down.


Add salt and pepper to taste.  Meanwhile, boil water and cook pasta until al dente.  A couple minutes before the pasta is done, add the heavy cream and turn the heat to high, cooking for 3 minutes or so to thicken the sauce slightly.


Pour sauce over pasta and add parsley.


Toss well to combine.


Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment