Saturday, December 15, 2012

Homemade Hummus

I see no reason to ever buy store bought hummus again.  I mean that.  Will I ever do it?  Yeah, probably.  And I will kick myself for it. At the store, in the checkout line, on the drive home, as I peel back the plastic, and with each bite.  Why such strong feelings? Because this is SO SUPER EASY to make.  And it just tastes sooo much better made at home.  Really.  The only special ingredient you need is Tahini.  And you can keep that in your fridge for awhile.  And if you live near an Indian grocery store, you can get it for soooo super cheap for a huge thing.  DO NOT BUY IT AT A REGULAR STORE! They will overcharge you!

Ingredients:

2 cans garbanzo beans, drained (reserve liquid from one can)
2-4 Tbs tahini (to taste)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
2 (or more) garlic cloves

optional additions:

pinch cayenne (I used)
pinch cumin
roasted red pepper

Put all ingredients in food processor and blend.  Add reserved liquid from chickpeas until hummus is desired consistency.



Top with some good olive oil, chopped parsley and paprika.  Serve with raw veggies or toasted pita chips (TOAST THEM THEY ARE SO GOOD THAT WAY!)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment